...and so it began. Then to November.

Scott Says...
I lot has happen since we've came to the island between the East and Hudson Rivers. Micaela arrived, started work, and proceeded to acquaint herself with Manhattan while I sat in Seattle, plotting my move. Then May 7th, the day of unity for the two of us.
Apartment hunting in this city began. It was surprising what shit holes are out there and what some people would assume you are willing to endure. Some examples are: no bathroom in the apartment, a piece of plywood placed in the center of the room thus making it a 'two bedroom', or my favorite an apartment that came with a box of mousetraps, 'to keep away the vermin' said the potential landlord to me. But, one fine day we found our new home situated in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

We have the whole second floor, and two living rooms. From the front we see the Greenpoint Islamic Center, the back windows we see our landlords pool. After signing the least we prepared to go on vacation with my friend Rachel.
Rachel is from Long Island, so we went and borrowed a car from her folks. The original plan was to go camping up north, see some mountains and some quaint little towns of upstate New York. Four hours driving in a Jeep, we discover that Rachel's dad was not lying when he said the exhaust does leak into the cab. This explained the silence from the peanut gallery and also the second Micaela and Rachel got in the car were out cold, aw silence and road is all I need. Four hours away from the city, and about two hours from our final destination, we change our minds, and decide we want to stalk the Amish in Southern Penn.
Question: why? Solution: jam, cheese, and awkwardly dressed kids with awesome hats and bonnets, duh. However, we were not the smartest tourist, as we arrived on a Saturday evening. Hmmmm, Sunday they don't do much besides pray for the sinners that descend on Lancaster to gawk at the 'old, simple life of years yonder'. Camping had turned into car camping in a trailer park. Some people summer in Europe, or the Hampton's, but the one class we never think about are the elder folks who purchase the largest camper social security can get them. Growing up my neighbors, the Kings, had one yet they used it during the winter to migrate to Arizona. Reflecting back, it was not an issue of vacation time, but of realizing their fragile, fossil-like frames could not stand the bitter Idaho winters. These campers situated in the humid south of Pennsylvania were complete with the kitschiest, most emasculate lawn ordaments. Some croaked, some were adorned with American flags, it was beautiful.  Since we all realized the boring features of the Amish in their natural habitat, we headed to Rachel's house 5 hours away to grill with her brothers and camp out in the backyard.
So, between three of us we consumed a 3 liter box of wine.  I decided it was bedtime, grabbed my sleeping bag and passed out on the back lawn.  Micaela, an hour or so later joined.  We snoozed for maybe two hours, then I get woken up by Micaela, "IT'S RAINING!" This sudden knowledge awoke me, and right as I peaked my head out of the wondrous cocoon I had created for myself I come to find the rain was not rain but the automatic sprinklers coming on.  I only discovered this after peaking my head out right as the sprinkler head passes over my right side of the face, cleaning out my inner ear and thoroughly soaking me.  
I now fully understand the meaning of the ironic poster of the cat, drenched, hanging from a rope with the phrase "hang in there" above.  It is not about persevering but about realizing you will never ever ever ever do that one thing again to have the same outcome.  For the cat, it might have been falling into a bucket of water, or being conned in to getting a bath, for me and Micaela, we will always remember to make sure the automatic sprinklers are turned off when suburban camping calls.
Right after moving in, the worst part of summer in the city happen, a heat wave.   This was something we both were not prepared for at all.  Micaela slept on the wooden floor, "it was to hot to do anything so I just slept," sums up this miserable experience.  I remember awaking, standing in the scorching kitchen and hearing Micaela awaking by the sound of sweating flesh being peeled off the wooden floor.  The only way to escape the heat was to pretend to be grocery shopping for 4 hours a day!  Summer came, Micaela worked like a dog, I worked and interned at the Avedon Foundation.  Summer ended, then fall began.
  
Fall in the city is perhaps the most amazing time of year anywhere.  For 2 months, the weather was perfection.  The trees slowly turned their magnificent shades denoting the chiller months are close.  
Again, Fall has been a rather uneventful time for the both of us, lots of down time, brunch and panic of jobs.  It has been amazing here so far and we hope you enjoy our adventures because we both love getting into mischief!



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
FALL








No comments: